26June2015: BDML kick-off-the-summer retreat
18June2015: Nice story in IEEE Spectrum on the evolution of spiny grippers: Spinybot -->RiSE-->JPL-->NASA (nothing about the branch of the family tree that went to Zman however ;-)
27May2015: BDML and Bioinspiration at the Royal Society celebration of 350 years of scientific publishing
- paper: Climbing with Adhesion, from Bio-Inspiration to Bio-Understanding, Royal Society Interface Focus, May 2015
15May2015: NYT -- controllable adhesion applications: perching, tugging, gripping.
27April2015: MicroTugs get some press as ICRA2015 approaches:
- "Tiny robots climb walls carrying..." (New Scientist)
- "Tiny robots carry up to 2,000..." (BBC News)
- "Tiny robots...", NBC News
- More links on the MicroTugs page
13March2015: Getting ready for TED in Vancouver: 1500 geckos with directional, controllable adhesive
- BDML Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/bdmlstanford?p=i
21Nov2014: Popular press has picked up on the paper led by Elliot on Human climbing with efficiently scaled gecko-inspired dry adhesives
26Sept2014: Schedules for the Stanford Robotics Seminar, BDML lab meetings, etc. are taking shape: LabMeetingSchedule
22Sept2014: Back from Crown Lake expedition and ready to start the new year!
25July2014: The DaVinci Camp Summer Institute stopped by this morning to learn about bio-inspired robots and play with some gecko-inspired adhesives.
27June2014: Lab meeting at Sam McDonald Park to kick off the summer among the flora and fauna.
19 Sept:''' Welcome to new and returning students! We are setting up the Calendar of fall group meetings and updating various pages.
- We have a new RA position on variable-stiffness actuators. This is suitable for an incoming MS or co-term student. It is funded for 2 quarters at present. Possibly more in the future.
- LabMeetingSchedule updated for Fall 2013
- NewProjectsFall2013 -- some new, moderately scoped projects that new graduate students might like to get involved in (e.g. research rotation).
- Also looking for one more ME112 TA - position is for Winter 2014, strong preference for ME112 alumni. Email to Cutkosky, subject: ME112 TA
2 Aug: Back on campus. Lots of efforts underway on perching, haptics, sensing, gliding, climbing...
May 11: Slightly garbled mention of the ICRA 2013 jump gliding paper in New Scientist.
April 3: Stanford Robotics Seminar starts this Friday! Speakers from BDML include Paul Karplus and Jung Hwa Bae on the RoboSimian Hand and Force-Sensing Needle projects.
SSSA BioRobotics Institute near Pisa
Dec 14: Congratulations to Barrett Heyneman on his Best Biomimetics Paper award at RoBio 2012.
Aug 1: Check out BDML2012EndOfSummer -- details being finalized.
June 14: Lab summer kickoff
June 6: Discovery Channel filming StickybotIII today.
Friday April 13: Sean Humbert will talk at 1pm in Peterson 126 on Principles of of Sensorimotor Control at Insect Scales
27Feb12: Joint BDML and Charm lab haptics meeting scheduled.
01Feb12: New ICRA 2012 papers forthcoming (more details soon):
- Under-actuated hands with selectively lockable joints (Dan Aukes et al.)
- Optically heated bendable biopsy needle for MRI interventions (Seokchang Ryu et al.)
- Variable stiffness EAP suspension (Sanjay Dastoor et al.)
- Region of attraction estimation for perching airplanes (Alexis Lussier-Desbiens et al.)
31Jan12: Reception honoring Mark Cutkosky as newest Fletcher Jones Professor in Engineering
Fletcher Jones Reception for Mark Cutkosky
25Oct11: Stickybot on Sports Illustrated? -- StickybotIII used as a sort of icon for Stanford's prowess in the PAC10.
04Oct11: Links back to the old pages (from TWiki) are now mostly working. The path is:
Note that these are now static pages and the various TWiki functions won't work.
- Visitors from Seabed Rig = ECHORD
- R. Wood from Harvard visiting and speaking: Bldg. 200, Room205, ~16:15
01Oct11: IROS 2011 Tours! 10:00-14:30 in the labs
22Aug11: Site back up on temporary host while rebuilding the old one.
10Jul11: New website is ready to go. We need members to populate it. You can use Main.PerchingHome as a template.