For links to videos and articles in the media see: Rise.VideosAndMedia
- S. Trujillo, B. Heyneman, M.R. Cutkosky, "Constrained Convergent Gait Regulation for a Climbing Robot," IEEE ICRA10, Anchorage, May 2010.
- A. Asbeck, Compliant Directional Suspensions for Climbing with Spines and Adhesives, Ph.D. Thesis, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Stanford University, March 2010.
- S. Trujillo and M.R. Cutkosky,"Thermally Constrained Motor Operation for a Climbing Robot," IEEE ICRA09, Kobe, Japan, May 2009.
- A. Asbeck, S. Dastoor, A. Parness, L. Fullerton, N. Esparza, D. Soto, B. Heyneman and M.R. Cutkosky, "Climbing rough vertical surfaces with hierarchical directional adhesion," IEEE ICRA09, Kobe, Japan, May 2009.
- D. Santos, B. Heyneman, S. Kim, N. Esparza, and M.R. Cutkosky, "Gecko-Inspired Climbing Behaviors on Vertical and Overhanging Surfaces", IEEE ICRA 2008, Pasadena, May 19-23, 2008.
* Finalist, Best Student Paper
- M.R. Cutkosky and S. Kim, Design and Fabrication of Multi-Material Structures for Bio-Inspired Robots, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, 367 (1894) special issue on Biomimetics, April, 2009.
- B. Howley and M.R. Cutkosky, Safe Control of Hopping in Uneven Terrain, Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, ASME, Vol. 131, No. 1, January 2009.
- Lanzetta M., Cutkosky M.R., "Shape deposition manufacturing of biologically inspired hierarchical microstructures", CIRP Annals Volume 57, Issue 1, 2008, Pages 231-234.
- D. Santos, B. Heyneman, S. Kim, N. Esparza, and M.R. Cutkosky, "Gecko-Inspired Climbing Behaviors on Vertical and Overhanging Surfaces", proceedings: IEEE ICRA 2008, Pasadena, May 19-23, 2008.
* Finalist, Best Student Paper
- S. Kim, M. Spenko, S. Trujillo, B. Heyneman, D. Santos, M.R. Cutkosky, "Smooth Vertical Surface Climbing with Directional Adhesion," IEEE Transactions on Robotics, Vol. 24, February 2008.
* awarded King-Sun Fu Memorial Best Transactions on Robotics Paper Award, May 2009.
- M. Spenko, G.C. Haynes, J.A. Saunders, M.R. Cutkosky, A.A. Rizzi, R.J. Full, D.E. Koditschek, "Biologically Inspired Climbing with a Hexapedal Robot," Journal of Field Robotics, Volume 25, Issue 4-5, 2008.
- S. Kim, M. Spenko, S. Trujillo, B. Heyneman, V. Mattoli, M.R. Cutkosky, "Whole body adhesion: hierarchical, directional and distributed control of adhesive forces for a climbing robot," IEEE ICRA07, April 2007.
* IEEE _Best Student Paper_ award and Finalist, _Best Paper_.
- (5MB Quicktime)
- D. Santos, S. Kim, M. Spenko, A. Parness, M.R. Cutkosky , "Directional Adhesive Structures for Controlled Climbing on Smooth Vertical Surfaces," IEEE ICRA07, April 2007.
- Y-L Park, K. Chau, R.J. Black, and M.R. Cutkosky, "Force Sensing Smart Robot Fingers using Embedded Fiber Bragg Grating Sensors and Shape Deposition Manufacturing," IEEE ICRA07, April 2007.
* Finalist, Best Manipulation Paper award
- A. McClung, "Techniques for Dynamic Maneuvering of Hexapedal Legged Robots", PhD thesis, Dec. 2006.
- A. Asbeck, S. Kim, M.R. Cutkosky, W.R. Provancher and M. Lanzetta, "Scaling Hard Vertical Surfaces with Compliant Microspine Arrays"; International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol 15, No. 12, 2006, pp. 1165-1180.
- S, Kim, J.E. Clark and M.R. Cutkosky, "iSprawl: Design and Tuning for High-speed Autonomous Open-loop Running," International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol. 25, No. 9, Sept. 2006.
- Asbeck, A.T., Kim, S., McClung, A., Parness, A., and Cutkosky, M.R., [Climbing Walls with Microspines," IEEE ICRA, May 2006, Orlando, Fla. (Short paper describes adaptation of the SpinyBot technology to the RisePlatform.)
- J.E. Clark and M.R. Cutkosky, "The Effect of Leg Specialization in a Biomimetic Hexapedal Running Robot", ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, Vol. 128, No. 1, pp. 26-35, March 2006.
- Kim, S., Asbeck, A., Provancher, W., and Cutkosky, M.R., "SpinybotII: Climbing Hard Walls with Compliant Microspines," IEEE ICAR, Seattle, WA, July, 18-20, 2005. (See also the SpinyBot page)
- Hatanaka, M., Design and Fabrication OF Multimaterial Flexible Mechanisms with Embedded Components, Ph.D. thesis June 2005. (17MB PDF).
- Asbeck, A., Kim, S., Provancher, W.R., Cutkosky, M.R. and Lanzetta, M., "Scaling Hard Surfaces With Microspine Arrays," Robotics: Science and Systems, MIT, June 8-10, 2005.
- Autumn, K., et al., Robotics in scansorial environments, Proc. SPIE Int. Soc. Opt. Eng. 5804, 291 (2005)
- Provancher, W., Clark J.E., Geisler, B. and Cutkosky, M.R., ""Towards Penetration-Based Clawed Climbing," Proc. CLAWAR, Madrid, Spain, Sept. 22-24, 2004.
- A. McClung, J.G. Cham and M.R. Cutkosky, "Rapid Maneuvering of a Biologically Inspired Hexapedal Robot," Proc. ASME IMECE2004-61150, Anaheim, CA, Nov. 19, 2004.
- J. Clark, D.G. Thelen and M.R. Cutkosky, ["Dynamic Simulation and Analysis of a Passively Self-Stabilizing Hexapedal Running Robot," Proc. ASME IMECE2004-62117, Anaheim, CA, Nov. 19, 2004.
- Kim, S., Clark, J.E. and Cutkosky, M.R., "Isprawl : Autonomy, and the Effects of Power Transmission," Proc. CLAWAR, Madrid, Spain, Sept. 22-24, 2004. ( See also the IndependentSprawl page.)
(Partial list - contact MarkCutkosky for more)
- R.J. Full and M.R. Cutkosky, "From Bio-Inspiration to Robotic Implementation," joint presentation at IEEE ICRA07 Workshop [SF-1] on Biomimetic Robotics. Saturday, 14 April, 2007, Rome, Italy.
- Workshop announcement and IEEE ICRA workshops summary
- M.R. Cutkosky, "The Challenges of Utilizing Directional Adhesive Structures,"; Robotic Science and Systems Workshop on Challenges of Micro- and Nano-robotics, U. Pennsylvania, August 19, 2006.
- AnisotropicStructuresMeeting, 20 April 2006.
Older related publications listed under the Biomimetics Site
- Jonathan E. Clark Ph.D. thesis (final draft?)