Amy Kyungwon Han, Ph.D.
Amy's LinkedIn profile
Amy is currently an Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Seoul National University in Seoul, Korea. (More info at https://hero.snu.ac.kr)
Amy is a postdoctoral researcher, with a focus on designing medical devices. She completed her Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering at Stanford in Summer 2020. Her research is on designing mechanisms, actuators, and sensors for haptics, medical applications, and grasping. More details of her present and past research are below:
- Implantable medical devices
- Devices that Induce tissue growth of underdeveloped hearts
- Biomimetic ventricular assist devices
- Soft sensors for measuring myocardial strain
- Electrostatic artificial muscle
- High work density, lightweight, low power consumption actuator
- Electrostatic gecko clutch
- Controllable, compact, dry adhesive electrostatic clutch for robotic mechanisms and actuators
- Dielectric elastomer electroactive polymer (EAP) actuator
- MR-compatible haptic devices based on EAP for teleoperated image-guided medical interventions
- Dielectric fluid transducer (DFT), also known as liquid electroactive polymer (LEAP)
- Haptic surface display based on miniature dielectric fluid transducers
- Gecko-inspired dry adhesives for enhancing human and robotic grasping
- Gecko gloves for humans for reducing repetitive stress injury
- Integration of gecko adhesives and robotic fingers
- Hybrid electrostatic gecko gripping pads for enhanced adhesion on micro-rough surfaces
- Other projects:
- Multimodal sensor network for soft robotic fingers
- Variable stiffness devices using multi-layer EAPs
- Morphing wing design with a barbule-inspired latching mechanism
- Gecko-inspired dry adhesive grippers
Han, A.K.*, Hajj-Ahmad, A.*, and Cutkosky, M.R, “Bimanual handling of deformable objects with hybrid adhesion,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters (Available as Early Access, 2022)
Pirozzi, I.*, Kight, A.*, Shad, R.A., 'Han, A.K.', Dual, S.A., Fong, R., Jia, A., Hiesinger, W., Yock, P. and Cutkosky, M., “RVEX: Right Ventricular External Device for Biomimetic Support and Monitoring of the Right Heart,” Advanced Materials Technologies (2022) p.2101472.
Han, A.K., Hajj-Ahmad, A., and Cutkosky, M.R., "Hybrid electrostatic and gecko-inspired gripping pads for manipulating bulky, non-smooth items,” Smart Materials and Structures (2020), Best Poster Award at IEEE ICRA 2021 Workshop
Han, K.W., "Electrosoft : soft electrostatic technologies for cutaneous interaction," Ph.D. thesis, Stanford University (2020)
Han, A.K., Ji, S., Wang, D. and Cutkosky, M.R., "Haptic Surface Display based on Miniature Dielectric Fluid Transducers," IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters (2020)
Han, A.K.*, Bae, J.H. (equal contribution)*, Gregoriou, K.C., Ploch, C.J., Goldman, R.E., Glover, G.H., Daniel, B.L. and Cutkosky, M.R., "MR-Compatible Haptic Display of Membrane Puncture in Robot-Assisted Needle Procedures," IEEE Transactions on Haptics (2018).
Hawkes, E. W., Jiang, H., Christensen, D. L., Han, A. K., & Cutkosky, M. R., Grasping Without Squeezing: Design and Modeling of Shear-Activated Grippers, IEEE Transactions on Robotics (2018). 2019 IEEE Transactions on Robotics King-Sun Fu Memorial Best Paper Award
Bae, J.H.*, Han, A.K. (equal-contribution)*, Ploch, C.J., Daniel, B.L., and Cutkosky, M.R., "Haptic feedback of membrane puncture with an MR-compatible instrumented needle and electroactive polymer display," IEEE World Haptics Conference (2017). Best Paper and Best Student Presentation Finalist
Jiang, H., Hawkes, E.W., Fuller, C., Estrada, M.A., Suresh, S.A., Abcouwer, N., Han, A.K., Wang, S., Ploch, C.J., Parness, A. and Cutkosky, M.R. "A Robotic Device Using Gecko-Inspired Adhesives can Grasp and Manipulate Large Objects in Microgravity." Science Robotics (2017). doi:10.1126/scirobotics.aan4545.
Pope, M.T., Kimes, C.W., Jiang, H., Hawkes, E.W., Estrada, M.A., Kerst, C.F., Roderick, W.R.T., Han, A.K., Christensen, D.L., M. R. Cutkosky, "A Multimodal Robot for Perching and Climbing on Vertical Outdoor Surfaces," in IEEE Transactions on Robotics (2017), doi: 10.1109/TRO.2016.2623346
Han, A.K., Wang, S., Bae, J.H., Christensen, D.L. and Cutkosky, M.R., "Toward MR-Compatible Needle Tip Force Display using EAP Actuation," in Haptics Symposium 2016 (2016).
Wissa, A., Han, A.K. and Cutkosky, M.R., "Wings of a Feather Stick Together," In Conference on Biomimetic and Biohybrid Systems (2015) doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-22979-9
Hawkes, E.W., Christensen, D.L., Han, A.K., Jiang, H. and Cutkosky, M.R., "Grasping without Squeezing: Shear Adhesion Gripper with Fibrillar Thin Film," IEEE/ICRA 2015 (2015). Best Student Paper Award
Han, K.W., Ko, K.H., Abu-Hakmeh, K., Bae, C., Sohn, Y.J. and Jang, S.S., ‘‘Molecular Dynamics Simulation Study of a Polysulfone-Based Anion Exchange Membrane in Comparison with the Proton Exchange Membrane,’’ The Journal of Physical Chemistry C (2014)
Amy Kyungwon Han, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral researcher, Mechanical Engineering
Biomimetics and Dexterous Manipulation Lab
Amy's LinkedIn profile