Parts and Service Vendors
- Kemeera, high-tolerance plastic and rubber parts made on Objet printers.
- Shapeways, plastic, ceramic, and metal (including stainless steel and silver) parts.
- QuickParts, 3D-printing, injection molding, and urethane-casting, among other services.
CNC sheet-metal and laser-cutting services
- TLTL laser cutter @ Stanford - good enough for most things 18'x24'x0.25'
- Coherent Inc., supplier of industrial-grade laser-cutters.
- Protocase, cheap and fast sheet-metal prototyping and metal laser-cutting.
- Pololu, online laser-cutting services.
- PRL laser cutters @ Stanford
Local CNC machine shop
Machine shops at Stanford
Local hardware stores, raw material suppliers
- Palo Alto Ace Hardware
- Home Depot
- Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH)- Great supplier for cheap 1/2" and 3/4" MDF.
- TAP Plastics
- Misumi, just about every mechanical component ever made, all customized-to-order.
- McMaster, many mechanical components and general fabrication materials. 2-day shipping non-negotiable.
- SDP-SI (Stock Drive Products/Sterling Instrument), hard-to-find mechanical components.
- Sava Cable, steel cables and teminations/fittings for cable transmissions.
- K&J Magnetics, every size and shape neodymium magnet made.
- VXB, excellent selection of low-cost and hard-to-find ball-bearings.
- Black Diamond Sports, local source of inexpensive skate-bearings (8 x 22 x 7mm) and rollerblade wheels for friction drives.
- Framing- 80/20, industrial erector set.
Electronics for Robotics
- Phidgets, plug-and-play USB motor drivers, sensors, and analog/digital in-out.
- Sparkfun, electronics for robotics. Many plug-and-play motor drivers, sensors, etc.
- Pololu, electronics for robotics. Many plug-and-play motor drivers, sensors, etc.
- US Digital, low-cost optical encoders. Can get 5000 CPR encoders or better.
- Digikey, every electronic component ever made.
- Jameco, many electronic components only 15 minutes away!
Computer Aided Design (CAD)