Videos from previous years
RightClick (Control Click on Mac) to download and view. All are Quicktime .mov format:
- Lego Chimney Crawlers from 2006 - Midterm project from 2006. Make a Lego crawler that goes up a vertical shaft with one wavy wall. This project was inspired by the attempt of a robot to climb a shaft in the Great Pyramid of Khufu. (The real robot got stuck!)
- Slothbots from 2011 - Final project from 2011. Make a slothbot that crawls along a rope in the New Guinea Sculpture Garden at Stanford.
- Elephant Seals from 2009 - Final project from 2009. Make an elephant seal that can crawl up a beach and defend its territory.
- a couple Lemurbots from 2006 - Final project from 2006. Make a Lemurbot that can climb a board of pegs as handholds.
Background for Assignment 1:
- Brunelleschi's machine -- Video shown on Wednesday of the story behind the machine designed by Filippo Brunelleschi in Florence in the 1400s to help him complete the cupola of the cathedral -- an amazing bit of Renaissance engineering with 3 speeds plus reverse!
- For other quick "how it works" videos and other information see: Notes on Brunelleschi's hoist