Kat's Summer Blog

Week 2 Overview

  • Learn how to code in Unity and implement programs for HoloLens



  • Publish an app for HoloLens from Unity
  • Contain my espresso addiction
Due to construction in the lab, I spent the morning watching Microsoft's HoloLens: Holograms 101E course videos so I can be more efficient and prepared once I can get back in the lab where we have the software and equipment I need.


My entire day was consumed by Unity tutorials, but by the end of the day I coded up a functioning "Roll a Ball" game!

Week 1 Overview

  • LOTS of background reading to get up to speed
  • Determine which projects I'm most interested in, and where I can be most helpful
  • Give insight/suggestions to co-researchers based on HoloLens background reading






General Summer Goals

  • Gain a better understanding of engineering applications and possibilities in the medical sphere
  • Develop more in-depth skills in robotics
  • Learn at least one area of the medical robotics projects in-depth
  • Contribute at least one impactful thing to the medical robotics projects
We hit the ground running with a guest lecture by Ravi B. on "Robotics-Inspired Implantable Passive Mechanisms to Re-Engineer the Human Body." He outlined how he wants to transform tendon-transfer surgery—instead of resulting in a 1:1 coupling from the direct suture-to-tendon, he uses passive differential mechanisms to give the patient improved differential finger movement. This was not only a really intriguing talk that got me even more excited about the future of engineering in medicine, but also a great reminder of the incredible events and speakers we have on campus. During the year it's easy to get caught up in class work and miss these sorts of events, so having a flexible schedule over the summer while I'm in the lab is something I'm looking forward to!
Back in the lab, I got a whirl-wind overview of all of the BDML current projects. As a pre-med-turned-engineer, I totally geek out over medical applications in engineering—so, the MR-compatible active needle project was right up my alley. After a brief run-down of the needle project, I found out there are a few different sub-projects: the AR/HoloLens integration/calibration, the needle sensing, experienced user testing, haptic feedback, and the needle actuation system. Although I initially thought I would be most interested in the more mechanical side, such as the needle actuation system, I found the AR application and haptic feedback aspects to be really fascinating. Because the people working on things other than the HoloLens are gone this week, I'll focus on that application for the rest of the week.
Page last modified on June 28, 2017, at 06:41 AM