Here are some of the needs finding questions:
- When designing a robot, say a hand, what do you consider as the most desired tactile quantity and what purpose does it serve?
- How do you quantify the data from the sensors and what value range can you get from each?
- If cost were not an issue, would that change your implementation/approach? If so why?
- What possible applications/environment do you envision the robot to be in?
- What are some things about Human-Robot interaction you would like to know more about?
(For points of inspiration)
- How often is there physical interaction with patients in your role?
- How do you perceive the patient's reaction when you use instrumental touch (purpose driven) vs. an affective touch (just spontaneous comforting touch)?
- Where on the body do you have physical contact and where do you avoid?
- Before and during contact do you give any cues to the patient (verbal/physical) that tells them you are approaching them?
- Do you feel having a verbal conversation before contact helps relax the patient?
- If you were to find a replacement for yourself down the road, what sort of characteristics should they have?
(For End Users)
- What is your vision of a perfect helper?
- How would you use a robot?
- Describe a perfect day with a robot
- Would you be more comfortable knowing someone is controlling the robot or if it ran on its own?
- What kind of position role do you envision this robot to hold?
Some Responses (paraphrased):
- Depth sensors/thermal sensors are useful to tell where the patient are
- There is facial recognition software and body (torso) searching methods that can perhaps guide a robot to the patient
- Video camera based research can tell when say a patient has fallen down
- Skin sensors are useful on a gripper/end effector to measure the force it applies on an object
- Not necessary if say holding tools or disabling bombs and not very useful for collision detection
- Have a glove that you place on the robotic hand to reduce number of wires
- Vision is very effective for the robot
- Would have the robot do laundry and cook
- Would prefer the robot to reply to all emails to free up my time to do other things
- Would have the robot act on my command and tell it what to do